Sunday, February 19, 2017

Research Journal #3

Article #1
Source in APA:
Nicolopoulou-Stamati, P., Maipas, S., Kotampasi, C., Stamatis, P., & Hens, L. (2016). Chemical Pesticides and Human Health: The Urgent Need for a New Concept in Agriculture. Frontiers in Public Health. Retrieved from http://go.galegroup.com.unr.idm.oclc.org/ps/i.do?p=HRCA&sw=w&u=reno&v=2.1&it=r&id=GALE%7CA458634778&sid=summon&asid=af213805255f1e768b5c7c089a91b84e
What kind of source is it?:
Research/comparative
How is the source relevant to my research? 
This source is relevant to my research because it explains the most commonly used pesticides and their effects on human and environmental health. It also suggests alternative agriculture methods that do not include pesticides.
How will this source be used in my results section?
The way that I can incorporate this source into my results section is maybe by explaining the different pesticides that are explained in this article. This could be useful background information on pesticides and also to add detail to my research paper.
One interesting thing:
One interesting thing that this article mentions is that a possible effect of a commonly used pesticide by the name of organophosphorus pesticide could be dementia. I do a lot of volunteering with elder people suffering from dementia so this caught my attention more than anything else.

Article #2
Source in APA:
Roberts, D., & Aaron, C. (2007). Managing Acute Organophosphorus Pesticide Poisoning. BMJ: British Medical Journal, 334(7594), 629-634. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org.unr.idm.oclc.org/stable/20506725
What kind of source is it?:
Causation/association
How is the source relevant to my research? 
This source is relevant to my research because it talks about organophosphorus pesticide, a very commonly used pesticide in agriculture. Specifically, this study talks about the poisoning associated with this pesticide.
How will this source be used in my results section?
If I use article #1, which also talks about organophosphorus, then I could use this article to add onto the other and vise versa. They both supply interesting and relevant information about this specific pesticide. 
One interesting thing:
From this article I learned that organophosphorus is the leading cause of toxicity and death by pesticides worldwide. I also learned that this is a more serious problem in developing countries.

Article #3
Source in APA:
  • Rao, P., Quandt, S. A., Doran, A. M., Snively, B. M., & Arcury, T. A. (2007;2006;). Pesticides in the homes of farmworkers: Latino mothers' perceptions of risk to their children's health. Health Education & Behavior, 34(2), 335-353. doi:10.1177/1090198106288045
What kind of source is it?:
Research/behavioral ethnography
How is the source relevant to my research? 
This article is relevant to my research paper because in my paper I would like to include a background of who are the people directly working and being impacted by pesticides. This source takes a twist on that and studies the risk-perception and behaviors of the families of pesticide farmers.
How will this source be used in my results section?
This source could be used in my results section to give a face to farm worker's health risks from pesticide exposure. 
One interesting thing:
I found it very interesting that the majority of farm workers who are directly in contact with pesticides are Hispanic. This could add a very interesting twist to my research. 

Article #4
Source in APA:
Flocks, J. D. (2012). The environmental and social injustice of farmworker pesticide exposure. Georgetown Journal on Poverty Law & Policy, 19(2), 255.
What kind of source is it?
Policy
How is the source relevant to my research?
This source talks in great detail about the barriers and challenges that farm workers face, especially if they are a minority. These challenges pave the way for safety concerns which is where public health prevention can play a huge role.  
How will this source be used in my results section?
I can use this source in my result section to help explain the challenges that come with pesticide safety regulations on a more individual, human level. 
One interesting thing:
Something very interesting that this article mentions is that big pesticide/crop companies will deliberately not enforce safety regulations for the farm workers in order to save money. Although this is easy for me to believe it still upsets me that for those big companies money is more valuable than the health of these workers.

Article #5
Source in APA:
Salvatore, A. L., Castorina, R., Camacho, J., Morga, N., López, J., Nishioka, M., & ... Bradman, A. (2015). Home-based community health worker intervention to reduce pesticide exposures to farmworkers' children: A randomized-controlled trial. Journal Of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology25(6), 608-615. doi:10.1038/jes.2015.39
What kind of source is it?
RCT
How is the source relevant to my research? 
This relates to my research paper in the way that I want to do a wholesome research on pesticides including the health effects that pesticides have on nonfarmworkers and this study gives me the information that I need.
How will this source be used in my results section?
This source can be coupled with the other article that I mentioned in this assignment about the risks on the families of pesticide farm workers. I could relate both of them to eachother, compare and contrast, and supplement the information from them. 
One interesting thing:
From this study I learned that even those who are not directly in contact with the pesticides are still negatively affected. 




No comments:

Post a Comment