Sunday, February 5, 2017

Research Journal #1

What was the process by which you narrowed down potential topics to two appropriate ones? And how were these decisions made on the basis of either class discussion, or our required, course textbook (Aveyard 2014), or both?

Pesticide use
Pesticide exposure and health
RCT
Effects of Pesticide use on health


What research question did you choose, and how are I can be sure you're making a reasoned, academic judgement on the basis of chapters 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?

My research question is: What are the effects of pesticide exposure to human health? Are there long-term effects? Are people aware of the effects that pesticide exposure can have on their health? What are the effects on environmental health?

What article (or articles) are you basing this question on, and what type of article is it (research, theory, policy, practice) (citation[s] in APA, please)? 

Gilden, R. C., Huffling, K. and Sattler, B. (2010), Pesticides and Health Risks. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, 39: 103–110. doi:10.1111/j.1552-6909.2009.01092.x

Snipes PhD, S. A., Thompson ScD, B., O'Connor, K., PhD, & Shell-Duncan, B. (2009). "Pesticides Protect the Fruit, but Not the People": Using Community-Based Ethnography to Understand Farmworker Pesticide-Exposure Risks. American Journal of Public Health,99(53), 616-621. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2008.148973

How can I be sure that the key vocabulary of the question corresponds not only to literature in the field, but also to chapter 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?

On some resources such as on the American Journal of Public Health website I had some difficulties finding articles that used the key terms that I use in my question. On the knowledge center website, however, I had success in finding literature that used my key vocabulary. I made sure that the titles of the literature that I found contained the same words that I use in my question such as "pestide exposure", "health" "effects", etc. I also made sure that the literature that I plan to use are health-related and are peer-reviewed.

Based on what your question is, what kind of literature are you going to need? Again, please explicitly reference the text (Aveyard 2014). What is your hierarchy of evidence?

Based on my research question I plan on using a combination of both quantitative and qualitative literature. However, I believe that a cohort method would be most important because my topic involves association and causation. Perhaps literature in ethnography would be next in importance.

How exactly did you research question arise out of "practice"?

My research question arise out of "practice" by a process of trial and error. I brainstormed with many different things regarding pesticide use/exposure and most of the articles that I found kept alluding to the topic of effects on health.

How do you define your key terms, and how do these definitions link to key journals in the field?
Pesticides: most commonly used in agriculture
Pesticide exposure: first-hand exposure and/or secondary
Pesticide exposure AND human health
Pesticide exposure AND public health
Effects of pesticide exposure: effects meaning health effects and envornmental perhaps
Environmental impact of pesticide use

Did anything unexpected happen? From you initial search, does it appear as though your research question will work? Or does the vocabulary and/or type of research sought need to be changed?

On the websites of Public Health journals my search outcomes were very limited which stressed me out and worried me. I also found great literature in my environmental health textbook for one of my public health classes but I am not sure if I will be able to use that for my research paper. If I cannot use that textbook as a source for my paper then I will probably have to revise my question to not include environmental health 

worried
stressed
confused 
knowledge center=happy
also,most articles are very old on the American Journal of Public Health website💩

Any final thoughts?
Perhaps I will have to modify my research question to not include environmental health because 1.I can't find articles alluding to that but I did find a textbook with information on this 2. maybe a research paper on both human health AND environmental health would be too much.




No comments:

Post a Comment